Berlin House of One: The first church-mosque-synagogue?Breaking News
tags: Berlin, synagogue, Church, mosque
An architecture competition has been held and the winner chosen. The striking design is for a brick building with a tall, square central tower. Off the courtyard below will be the houses of worship for the three faiths - the synagogue, the church and the mosque. It is to occupy a prominent site - Petriplatz - in the heart of Berlin.
The location is highly significant, according to one of the three religious leaders involved, Rabbi Tovia Ben Chorin. "From my Jewish point of view the city where Jewish suffering was planned is now the city where a centre is being built by the three monotheistic religions which shaped European culture," he told the BBC.
Can they get on? "We can. That there are people within each group who can't is our problem but you have to start somewhere and that's what we are doing."
comments powered by Disqus
- An Act of Remembering Native American Children Who Died so Long Ago
- June Willenz, Champion of Women in the Military, Dies at 95
- Remembering Ray Eurquhart, a Lifelong Activist Radicalized in the Military
- 9/11 Families Outraged by 'Massive Coverup’ Linking Saudi Arabian Official to Hijackers
- Charlottesville Official Wants To Revisit Statues’ Removal