Reagan Historian Craig Shirley Thinks Trump, or Cruz Could Beat HillaryHistorians in the News
tags: election 2016, Ted Cruz, Trump
Ronald Reagan biographer Craig Shirley referenced a recent interview, saying that Donald Trump may be ushering in a new form of conservatism as a guest today on Breitbart News Daily with Stephen K. Bannon.
Shirley adds that Trump is “kind of evolving on the road and that’s interesting to see as an historian. He hasn’t fully fleshed out his Republicanism, or his Conservatism. So, it remains to be seen what final permutation it’s going to take.”
Shirley said that he thinks Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) could likely reassemble the old so-called Reagan coalition to beat Hillary, while adding that Trump’s “developing” conservatism, which he termed “Trumpism” could likely also beat her and perhaps even more handily.
Shirley said Trump is not in the mold of a traditional populist Federalist type of Conservative. “He doesn’t talk about the individual as much as Reagan did, or say Ted Cruz does. But he does talk about things that are very interesting in terms of the 21st century.” In that sense, Shirley seemed to be suggesting it could be time for a “new” conservatism in line with where Trump appears to be heading. ...
comments powered by Disqus
- Sunday Reading: Hiroshima
- More Than a Century Before the 19th Amendment, Women were Voting in New Jersey
- John Lewis’ Legacy: Four Southern States are Still Battling for Voter Rights
- Gillibrand Urges Removal Of Confederate Symbols At West Point
- Portraits that Honor the Men Who Participated in the 1968 Memphis Sanitation Workers Strike