A problematic diversity of views after Orlando shootingsRoundup
tags: terrorism, guns, LGBT, Mass Shooting, Orlando
Suppose you’re the sort of liberal who thinks America should accept and celebrate diverse peoples, traditions and cultures. But you also believe that homosexuals should enjoy the rights of other human beings, including the right to marry.
Or let’s say you’re the type of conservative who — like Donald Trump — thinks that we should close our doors to Muslims. But you also think gays are sinful and deviant, and that marriage should be reserved for straights.
Either way, the Orlando tragedy poses a big problem for you.
When Omar Mateen murdered 49 people at a gay nightclub early Sunday, he reminded us that some cultural groups in the world simply do not accept homosexuality. You can’t unequivocally “celebrate diversity” — as the liberal bumper sticker urges — alongside gay rights, because some of the diverse people in our midst hate gays.
And the haters come in all colors and faiths, of course. Antigay white conservatives who want to keep out members of the Islamic faith might be surprised — and, I hope, embarrassed — about how many Muslims share their view of gays and lesbians. How can you condemn homosexuality, then demand the exclusion of people who do the same? ...
comments powered by Disqus
- The History Briefing on the 30th Anniversary of the Fall of the Berlin Wall
- History Says Bloomberg 2020 Would Be a Sure Loser
- Then and now: How Trump impeachment hearing is different
- Poland asks Netflix to make changes to documentary about Nazi death camp guard
- What is a caliph? The Islamic State tries to boost its legitimacy by hijacking a historic institution
- Black Perspectives Publishes Online Forum: "Researching, Teaching, and Embodying the Black Diaspora"
- Distinguished professor, civil war historian James I. “Bud” Robertson Jr. passes away
- Noel Ignatiev, scholar who called for abolishing whiteness, dies at 78
- Historians Elizabeth Catte, Rebecca Solnit, and Peniel Joseph Quoted in Washington Post Article, "The Democrats Are Moving Left. Will America Follow?"
- When Southern Historians Made History Themselves