45 years ago, Kissinger envisioned a ‘pivot’ to Russia. Will Trump make it happen?Breaking News
tags: Putin, election 2016, Kissinger, Trump
Related Link Kissinger lauds Trump's pick for secretary of State
Kissinger then observed that “in 20 years your successor, if he’s as wise as you, will wind up leaning towards the Russians against the Chinese.” He argued that the United States, as it sought to profit from the enmity between Moscow and Beijing, needed “to play this balance-of-power game totally unemotionally. Right now, we need the Chinese to correct the Russians and to discipline the Russians.” But in the future, it would be the other way around.
Could it be that, almost 45 years after Nixon’s breakthrough with China, the United States’ 45th president will be taking Kissinger’s advice? President Obama tried to make a “pivot” to Asia the capstone of his foreign policy. Will Donald Trump make a “pivot” toward Moscow, and away from Beijing, a capstone of his?
comments powered by Disqus
- An Act of Remembering Native American Children Who Died so Long Ago
- June Willenz, Champion of Women in the Military, Dies at 95
- Remembering Ray Eurquhart, a Lifelong Activist Radicalized in the Military
- 9/11 Families Outraged by 'Massive Coverup’ Linking Saudi Arabian Official to Hijackers
- Charlottesville Official Wants To Revisit Statues’ Removal