Now Tanzania Seeks German Reparations Over Colonial ActsBreaking News
tags: colonialism, Germany, Tanzania
Tanzania's government is considering legal action to force former colonizer Germany to pay reparations for alleged atrocities committed over a century ago, the country's defense minister said Wednesday.
The government will seek compensation over tens of thousands of people who allegedly were starved, tortured and killed by German forces while trying to put down rebellious tribes, minister Hussein Mwinyi told lawmakers.
Germany ruled Tanzania, then known as Tanganyika, from 1890 to 1919.
There was no immediate response from the German embassy in Tanzania.
comments powered by Disqus
- Why legislation is needed to make Holocaust education more prominent in public schools: 5 questions answered
- How the Gilded Age's Top 1 Percent Thrived on Corruption
- The return of Ken Starr: He pushed impeachment for Clinton but now defends Trump
- The first transport of Jews to Auschwitz was 997 teenage girls. Few survived.
- As India’s Constitution Turns 70, Opposing Sides Fight to Claim Its Author as One of Their Own
- What Happens When You Give Students Control of the Syllabus?
- A Civil War-era ‘witch bottle’ may have been found on a Virginia highway, archaeologists say
- The Future of the Academy at the Association of American Colleges and Universities
- The Way We Write History Has Changed
- Rethinking How We Train Historians