Breitbart declares war on WikipediaBreaking News
tags: Fake News, Breitbart
Soy: Not even once. https://t.co/UpGs7hkWpU— Breitbart News (@BreitbartNews) April 4, 2018
In the past week, Breitbart’s Wikipedia page has become the scene of an epic battle, with alt-right trolls descending en masse to change its content.
Breitbart News has declared war on Wikipedia, following Facebook’s introduction of a new feature that uses the free encyclopedia to combat “fake news” being spread on the social media site.
The Facebook tool, launched last week, poses arguably the greatest test in years to the volunteer-run online encyclopedia, constituting a massive threat to the internet’s largest and ostensibly most trusted source of free knowledge.
The tool allows users to see information on publishers. This information is aggregated from Wikipedia, which is itself edited by millions of users.
When Breitbart discovered that, according to Wikipedia editors, people should treat its content with a grain of salt – describing the site as “intentionally misleading” – the response from the white nationalist alt-right movement’s self-proclaimed platform was fierce and quick. And its actions have wreaked havoc on Wikipedia.
comments powered by Disqus
- It Really Is Time to Get Rid of the Filibuster
- A Tale of Atomic Bombs and Paper Cranes: Harry Truman's Grandson Pursues Reconciliation
- The Real Reason the American Economy Boomed After World War II
- Florence Revives Medieval Plague-Era ‘Wine Windows’ for Contactless Service
- Tulane Canceled a Talk by the Author of an Acclaimed Anti-Racism Book After Students Said the Event Was 'Violent'
- Experiencing War Far From the Battlefield
- Isabel Wilkerson’s World-Historical Theory of Race and Caste
- Queens Powhatan and Pocahontas Democratic Club Considers Name Change
- Eminent Scholar of Early U.S., Bernard Bailyn, Dies at 97
- Manhattan Beach to Present Bruce's Beach History, Community Awaits Historians' Voices