Seattle history teacher targeted by Alex Jones and trolls for lambasting YouTuber PewDiePie for antisemitismHistorians in the News
tags: antisemitism, Alex Jones
Seattle police responded Tuesday to Hamilton International Middle School as an incident at the school blew up on right wing social media.
It all started with some posters put up around the school.
The posters asked people to subscribe to a YouTube channel run by a guy who lost his contract with Disney for putting anti-Semitic and Nazi imagery in his videos (this NPR story has more information about him). The YouTuber has claimed he was misunderstood.
A history teacher at the school told his students that when they put up posters like that, they’re promoting what the YouTuber stands for.
As the teacher was talking, a student secretly recorded the lecture and posted it online. Postings of the video got 89,000 retweets and drew the attention of InfoWars, the website where Alex Jones, the popular, right-wing conspiracy theorist, promoted the PizzaGate conspiracy theory.
comments powered by Disqus
- Chris Hayes on How Police Treat Black Americans like Colonial Subjects
- 5 Ways to Rebuild Labor and Transform America
- Trump's Praise for China over Tiananmen Square Years ago was a Preview of his Support for Military Crackdowns on the George Floyd Protests
- For the First Time in 30 Years, Hong Kong Will Not Hold a Mass Vigil Commemorating the Tiananmen Square Massacre
- America's New Nihilism
- Why Teachers, Not Reformers, Should “Reimagine Education”
- COVID, Race, and a Pivotal Moment for America
- The Memo: Trump Lags in Polls as Crises Press
- Explaining the Insurrection Act of 1807 and Looking Back on Nixon’s Law & Order Campaign (Podcast)
- Trump Declared Himself the 'President of Law and Order.' Here's What People Get Wrong About the Origins of That Idea