What Mueller's probe has already revealed about TrumpRoundup
tags: Trump, Mueller, investigation
Julian Zelizer is a professor of history and public affairs at Princeton University, and author, with Kevin Kruse, of the new book "Fault Lines: A History of the United States Since 1974." Follow him on Twitter at @julianzelizer.
The Mueller report is finally done and has been turned over to the attorney general. Now the public waits to find out what it says and how Washington will react (what, for example, will Congressional investigators do next?).
But the damage that the investigation has alreadyinflicted should not be underestimated. Five high-level officials, including President Donald Trump's former campaign manager, have been convicted or pleaded guilty, most of them after lying about their interaction with Russians. Roger Stone, Trump's longtime adviser, is going to stand trial.
This cadre of men implicated in serious wrongdoing has already revealed the President's comfort with surrounding himself with unsavory characters -- people willing to forge connections with individuals tied to a foreign government interfering with our election.
The response of the President to the investigation has been equally revealing. As the probe intensified, Trump aggressively went after the investigators. He lambasted officials looking into what had gone wrong and spread disinformation and conspiracy theories to discredit the inquiry, rather than support its quest for the truth.
comments powered by Disqus
- USA Today Publishes New Articles As Part Of Series, "1619: Searching for Answers"
- Washington doesn't have a Latino history museum. These people are hoping to change that
- A history of key United Auto Workers strikes against GM
- Fact-checking Andrew Yang on history of universal basic income
- Hobby Lobby Will Return Biblical Antiquities Allegedly Stolen by Oxford Professor
- Historians Allison Horrocks and Mary Mahoney bring history to life in podcast
- Modern art historian, US museum director and clergyman EA Carmean, Jr has died, age 74
- Historian Andrew David Teaching Impeachment during an Impeachment Inquiry
- Historian Brad Simpson Says He's Never Read a Letter As Unhinged As Trump's To Erdogan
- Academic Twitter's Gender Imbalance