Calling Racism A ‘Leftist Lie,’ White Vandals Target California Black Lives Matter SloganBreaking News
tags: racism, memorials, public history, teaching history
Gomez said he feared the man’s statements reflected the rhetoric of President Trump. In a speech in front of Mount Rushmore ahead of Independence Day, for example, the president described protesters as violent “angry mobs” and decried their vandalism of Confederate monuments and statues of slave-owning presidents such as George Washington and Thomas Jefferson.
Trump described the movement as a “left-wing cultural revolution,” saying “children are taught in school to hate their own country and to believe the men and women who built it were not heroes but villains.”
“This radical view of American history is a web of lies,” he added.
Gomez said although the vandalism was disheartening, the way the community mobilized to repair the damage was inspiring. Within an hour on Saturday, volunteers had repainted the slogan.
The black paint, he said, somehow ended up making it pop a little more.
comments powered by Disqus
- Sunday Reading: Hiroshima
- More Than a Century Before the 19th Amendment, Women were Voting in New Jersey
- John Lewis’ Legacy: Four Southern States are Still Battling for Voter Rights
- Gillibrand Urges Removal Of Confederate Symbols At West Point
- Portraits that Honor the Men Who Participated in the 1968 Memphis Sanitation Workers Strike