SOURCE: The Atlantic
by Adam Serwer
"I want to be very clear about what the country saw last night, as an American president incited a chant of “Send her back!” aimed at a Somali-born member of Congress: America has not been here before."
SOURCE: NY Times
by Jamelle Bouie
His racist idea of citizenship is an old one, brought back from the margins of American politics.
SOURCE: New York Review of Books
by Omer Bartov, Doris Bergen, Andrea Orzoff, Timothy Snyder, and Anika Walke, et al.
The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum released a statement on June 24 condemning the use of Holocaust analogies.
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez said the U.S. is running concentration camps. Historians are divided on her statement.
The historical origins of the term and how some historians interpreted her statement.
by Ralph Seliger
How the Japanese-American organizers of a museum exhibit at Ellis Island entitled “America’s Concentration Camps: Remembering the Japanese American Experience” came to an amicable agreement with the American Jewish Committee (AJC).
by Daniel B. Schwartz
We can and should learn from the Holocaust to fight against racism and dehumanization, mindful of what they can lead to, but we should avoid comparisons that collapse the distance between the Holocaust and current events and result in the trivialization of the former.
SOURCE: Latino Rebels
by Eladio Bobadilla
We should call Trump’s detentions centers what they are: concentration camps.
by Michael Sheng
"For the sake of history, please tell your voters what you really believe, and don’t just throw out a label without a precise definition."
SOURCE: New York Magazine
We asked three experts a simple question: Who does Ocasio-Cortez remind you of most strongly in American political history?
- Trump administration says joint UNC, Duke Middle East Studies program portrays Islam too positively
- What White Kids Learn About Race in School
- Frederick Douglass photos smashed stereotypes. Could Elizabeth Warren selfies do the same?
- Chronicling New York’s Muslim History
- New Documents Illuminate The University of Texas’s Secret Strategy to Keep Out Black Students
- Women Scientists Were Written Out of History. It’s Margaret Rossiter’s Lifelong Mission to Fix That
- Allen C. Guelzo Reviews Sidney Blumenthal's Latest Installment of His Biography of Lincoln
- What Reconstruction-Era Laws Can Teach Our Democracy: The NY Times Reviews Eric Foner's Latest Book
- Should historians read their own book?
- Cokie Roberts, Pioneering Journalist Who Helped Shape NPR, Dies At 75