SOURCE: Atlanta Journal-Constitution
The flag is the only surviving example of 11 similar flags painted by David Bustill Bowser, a Philadelphia sign-painter, portraitist and anti-slavery activist.
SOURCE: Lancaster Online
The flag represents the 127th Regiment of the U.S. Colored Troops and is being sold by the Grand Army of the Republic Museum in Philadelphia to bolster the museum’s finances.
- Historian Tom Engelhardt Revisits His First Piece of Critical History – 48 Years Later
- Heather Cox Richardson: Trump isn’t the first president to compare himself to Jesus — the last one who did ‘planned to lead his white supremacist supporters to victory’
- Historians' archival research looks quite different in the digital age
- Senate Historian Daniel S. Holt Featured on Political Theatre Podcast
- The Way We Do the Things We Do: Making History-Making Visible