by Wallace Hettle
Removing the statue of Stonewall Jackson from campus is just one step that the Virginia Military Institute must take toward separating itself from the Lost Cause myth and serving all Virginians.
SOURCE: Washington Post
A racist incident during freshman "Hell Week" highlights the problems with racism, Confederate veneration, and unequally applied discipline at the Virginia Military Institute.
- The Deep South Has a Rich History of Resistance, as Amazon Is Learning
- America’s Political Roots Are in Eutaw, Alabama
- University Finds 18th-Century Schoolhouse Where Black Children Learned to Read
- Searching for Our Urban Future in the Ruins of the Past
- Denied a Teaching Job for Being ‘Too Black,’ She Started Her Own School — And a Movement