SOURCE: Toronto Globe and Mail
Once the dynamic heart of automotive America, the city of Detroit took the humbling step of filing for bankruptcy on Thursday – the largest U.S. municipality ever to do so. On Friday, Michigan Governor Rick Snyder defended his decision to authorize the bankruptcy filing....The Globe’s Joanna Slater spoke with Thomas Sugrue, a historian at the University of Pennsylvania and the author of The Origins of the Urban Crisis: Race and Inequality in Postwar Detroit, an award-winning social history of the once-proud city, about its long decline....What are the most important factors that contributed to Detroit’s current mess?
- Live through incredible Berlin Wall escape stories with YouTube's VR history project
- How Codebreakers Helped Secure U.S. Victory in the Battle of Midway
- The Equal Rights Amendment May Pass Now. It’s Only Been 96 Years.
- Teenage Rescuer, Now 92, Meets Family She Saved From Nazis
- Mormons in Mexico: A brief history of polygamy, cartel violence and faith
- Chris Riback is Reading the Impeachment Inquiry Opening Statements Aloud on His Podcast
- Julie Hirschfeld Davis & Michael D. Shear: Inside Trump’s Assault on Immigration
- 14 Ships' Figureheads Weighing Over 20 Tons Arrive at UK's Newest Museum, The Box
- Historian Hope Harrison Interviewed for article on German Reunification in The Atlantic
- “If you liked this interview, you’ll love this book”: A Review of Sarah Milov’s The Cigarette: A Political History (2019)