SOURCE: Washington Post
by Howell Raines
An illuminating ook review of Henry Louis Gates, Jr.'s “Stony the Road: Reconstruction, White Supremacy, and the Rise of Jim Crow.”
by M. Andrew Holowchak
Johns was a critical figure in the push for racial equality, chiefly because he was not merely a pusher, but also a shover.
by HNN Staff
How historians can be inspired by remembering the radical and realist Dr. King.
by William Lambers
Few people know Dr. King was also an activist for nuclear disarmament and urged peace during the Cold War nuclear arms race.
SOURCE: The Root
David Oyelowo Says Steven Spielberg Wants Him to Reprise Martin Luther King Jr. Role in Upcoming Biopic
After starring as Martin Luther King Jr. in Ava DuVernay’s critically acclaimed movie Selma, David Oyelowo revealed in a recent interview that Steven Spielberg is trying to get him to reprise his role as the civil rights leader.
by Peter Eisenstadt
"A few years ago I found some correspondence that I thought might have profoundly altered the life of Martin Luther King, Jr. thereby redirecting the course of American and world history."
Review of "Black Against Empire: The History and Politics of the Black Panther Party" by Joshua Bloom and Waldo E. Martin, Jr.
by Ron Briley
Bloom and Martin have produced a fascinating and comprehensive political history of the BPP, essentially told from the party’s perspective, which will certainly draw criticism from those contesting the violence and political legacy of the party.
- Oral Histories of Donald Trump's Housing Discrimination Case, the Central Park Five, and More
- A Stolen Letter Written by Alexander Hamilton in 1780 Resurfaces
- ‘It’s art activism’: Charleston artists gather at Calhoun monument, urge its removal
- Chinese Railroad Workers Were Almost Written Out of History. Now They’re Getting Their Due.
- Mayor and ‘Foreign Minister’: How Bernie Sanders Brought the Cold War to Burlington
- The Partisan
- If “living history” role-plays in the classroom can so easily go wrong, why do teachers keep assigning them?
- MIT just cracked open an historic time capsule–here’s what was inside
- Historian Ben Macintyre reveals the gripping story of the KGB agent who saved us from Armageddon in 1983
- Peter Cole's ‘Dockworker Power’ Highlights Transnational Struggles for Justice