SOURCE: Black Perspectives
by AAIHS Editors
Police Brutality, Mass Incarceration, and the Liberal Establishment
SOURCE: Washington Post
by Kathryn Schumaker
The increase in school security is directly linked to the rise of student activism that started to transform schools 50 years ago.
by Ronald L. Feinman
Unfortunately, Sessions’ ideas and policies live on through Trump adviser Stephen Miller.
SOURCE: Harvard Magazine
Historian Elizabeth Hinton probes the roots of a gathering crisis.
by Donald E. McInnis
Were the Central Park Five confessions a freak accident? No: every day, adults and juveniles falsely confess to serious crimes they did not commit. Why?
by Christopher Twarowski
Digital “shackles” have been utilized by the U.S. criminal justice system for more than 30 years but their use has increased a whopping 140 percent throughout the past decade.
by Janna Malamud Smith
When you live with a false story about your nation’s past ... developing an informed consensus for action becomes extremely difficult.
by Anne C. Bailey
The weeping time does not end with weeping; it ends with triumph.
by Leon Neyfakh
The 1994 crime bill was wrongheaded and draconian. But it didn’t cause the explosion in the prison population.
SOURCE: The Atlantic
by Ta-Nehisi Coates
American politicians are now eager to disown a failed criminal-justice system that’s left the U.S. with the largest incarcerated population in the world. But they've failed to reckon with history.
- Hurricane Dorian Unearths Civil War Cannonballs at South Carolina Beach
- Ms. Monopoly is here. Psst: A woman invented the game in the first place
- 9/11 Is History Now. Here's How American Kids Are Learning About It in Class
- Why Don't We Consider Cannabis Part of the American Herbal Renaissance
- A woman who ran for president in 1872 was compared to Satan and locked up. It wasn’t for her emails.
- Historians push to create public archive of documents from massive opioid litigation
- Fake Citations Kill Historian's Career
- Jim McGrath on Podcasts and Public History
- Uncovering the History of Child Psychiatry: A Conversation with Deborah Blythe Doroshow
- Gerald Ford, Impeachment, and The Difference Between Politics and Law Enforcement